Wednesday 27 November 2013

Nimue - stages of production


For my recent piece of work I wanted to push myself and try and bridge the plateau which I felt my work was on. I decided to browse some fashion photography mainly because there is a high chance of viewing posed models in a professional manner and not selfies. I found a few for inspiration and compiled a very rough photomanipulation of all the elements which appealed to me and this was my starting point. 

I started this project in a completely different manner than any of my others. Normally I work completely freehand which works well from side profile work but I wanted this piece to have a natural symmetrical look without one side being completely off from the other. To tackle this I very faintly drew a grid on my paper and also created a digital grid of my manip and started drawing this way. To be frank I found this a quicker way of creating a sketch than completely freehand. I was also naturally more able to 'ad-lib' and steadily work over the initial sketch adding in my own variations and composition elements. 

Next I added in my watercolour washes which I use as a guide and also a 'fill' of background colour to work up from. I then proceeded to add in detail with watercolour pencil/artist colouring pencil in a layering technique. Beforehand I had tended to add in all the details in one small area in quick layers but this time I tackled a complete area [her face] and found that all aspects blended in a lot more effectively. I also used some colours I would not have normally regarded as skin tone colours but found this really effective in creating a more realistic look. Further more I used blenders etc to tone down the pencil strokes and create a more fluid aesthetic.

Each area was tackled individually which allowed me to work around the piece more freely. After her face came her hair and beyond that the fossils, shells and then the fish. The background elements where tackled last. The final stage is the stage I find the hardest, adding in the shadow tones and final lines. I tend to use way too much black/blue/grey so I really hard to restrain myself. When I thought I was finished I walked away and left the piece for a while. I decided if I returned and genuinely felt something needed altering then go for it but if I was being nit-picky over shading to really regard the work and see if it was a genuine alteration. 

Once I pack everything away I do not then go back and edit things so I felt relieved when this piece was finished. I feel I have evolved quite a bit since I started this type of work in earnest and I would be very interested to compare my first piece, this piece and say a piece next June to see how my work has changed. Sadly to some but not to me I find this such an exciting and interesting phase in my artistic career. 









No comments:

Post a Comment